Welcome to Just Add Lauren

If you are new around these parts, you may want to subscribe so that you won't miss anything! We have new posts added almost every day, so you never want to miss out on the new information and links available. You can Subscribe to Just add Lauren by email (once you click on the link, there is a little blue envelope that offers email delivery) or Follow in Google reader!

Please also remember to take our reader survey while you are here! I want to hear your comments and suggestions!

6/7/10

Freezer Cooking Thus Far

As you know by now, I've been participating in Stephanie's Cook More Real Food Series, which I have greatly enjoyed. Today, I did both my grocery shopping for the next two weeks, and my freezer cooking (well, some of it anyway).  I really wanted to try out a once a week grocery shopping plan, but since I started my new job I think I am going to stick with once every two weeks for now. It just makes it easier, and makes my life revolve less around grocery shopping.  So I planned out my meal plan for the next two weeks (I planned on 10 meals, and figure we'll have some of the Kashi frozen pizzas we already had in the freezer on two nights, and leftovers at least two nights). Here is my plan of action for my freezer cooking day:

Homemade Sausage (NT recipe)
Crescent Chicken Squares
Pork Tenderloin w/sauce

So far I've gotten through the Pizza Dough, Crescent Chicken Squares, and Pork Tenderloin. I recently learned the great tips with freezer cooking that you can cut up your meat the way that you want it to be, and then mix up the marinade and freeze the marinade in a bag with the meat. That way, when you are ready to eat, you just move the bag from the freezer to the fridge, and it will thaw overnight, soak up the marinade, and be ready to go by the next day! In my cooking today I also made a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies and froze the dough, so that when my hubby inevitably asks for more cookies, I'll have some on hand (although I'm still planning on limiting them, as per my ways to reduce my grocery bills from last week). I also mixed up the dough for the tortillas, but it is supposed to sit overnight so it is currently in the freezer. I thawed out the meat I got for the sausage, so I'm planning on making that and the breakfast burritos (as well as frying the tortillas -that is the random ball of dough that is sitting uncovered in the picture) tomorrow after I get home. 



My meal plan for the next two week includes the following meals:

  • Breakfast Burritos
  • Spice Rubbed Chuck Roast
  • Chicken Fajitas w/homemade tortillas
  • Sausage and Tomato Casserole (already in the freezer)
  • Spiced Chicken Breasts (from Nourishing Traditions!)
  • Marinated Sirloin Steak
  • Crescent Chicken Squares made w/pizza dough (I do not follow this recipe super closely, but that is the main idea)
  • Falafel with Dip
  • Saucy Sirloin Steak
  • Pork Tenderloin with Sauce
  • Spaghetti with Parmesan and Bacon



I also want to point out (and thank Stephanie!) that because of the freezer and pantry inventory I took, I only spent $138.95 this week at the grocery store, which even included some extra meat that I wasn't planning on buying but was marked down to reduced (which I always buy if it is a cut we like, so I grabbed it right up!) Since it is already June 7 and this was my first grocery shopping trip of the month, I'd say I'm doing pretty well sticking to my budget thus far! I am also very excited that I have some room in my budget to head on over to the farmer's market next weekend for opening weekend and check it out!

Did you participate in freezer cooking? How'd it go? What did you make, and do you think it was a good use of time for you to make things ahead of time? I'm excited to hear about your experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment