Welcome to Just Add Lauren

If you are new around these parts, you may want to subscribe so that you won't miss anything! We have new posts added almost every day, so you never want to miss out on the new information and links available. You can Subscribe to Just add Lauren by email (once you click on the link, there is a little blue envelope that offers email delivery) or Follow in Google reader!

Please also remember to take our reader survey while you are here! I want to hear your comments and suggestions!

6/6/10

Nourishing Traditions



Yesterday, I purchased my very own, brand spankin' new copy of Nourishing Traditions, and I just wanted to share with you all how excited I am to begin reading it and implementing the recipes from it. I didn't even want to wait to order a used copy online (which would have ended up to only be about $3 cheaper, so I am glad I didn't) since I was doing my meal planning yesterday and wanted to have those resources available to me as I planned out the coming weeks meals!

For those of you who haven't heard of Nourishing Traditions, it is written by Sally Fallon, who is the founding president of the Weston A Price Foundation  which works towards disseminating the research of Dr Weston Price, who traveled the world studying isolated, primitive cultures and their diets.  Dr Price concluded from his research that health issues that plagued industrialized societies of the time (this was in the 1930s) like dental problems, tooth cavities, degenerative diseases, muscle fatigue, and allergies were not found in cultures that were sustained by indigenous diets. Though it sounded as though the members of those societies were somehow immune to these problems, Dr Price also found that when a "westernized" diet (including refined sugar, refined flours, and processed foods) was introduced into their culture, within one generation they began to suffer from the same illnesses as those industrialized nations.

So back to Nourishing Traditions - as I tried to explain to my husband, who did not understand why I was so unbelievably excited to have found it in the bookstore (this was the third time I have looked in a local bookstore, and the first time I've been able to get my hands on a copy) Nourishing Traditions is basically the hand book for all things related to the "real food" movement and how to get started on making those important changes in your life. I have only read the introduction so far, and I am already inspired to stretch myself a little more and make more changes.  I seriously can't wait to really get into the meat of the book, and I will definitely let you know my review of it once I'm done!

Have you read Nourishing Traditions or has it guided you in your food transformation journey? I would love to hear your thoughts about it. Also on that note, is anyone here a member of their local Weston A Price Foundation chapter? I recently got in touch with mine, and although their event this weekend didn't work out for me scheduling wise, I am excited to participate in upcoming events!

No comments:

Post a Comment