Welcome to Just Add Lauren

If you are new around these parts, you may want to subscribe so that you won't miss anything! We have new posts added almost every day, so you never want to miss out on the new information and links available. You can Subscribe to Just add Lauren by email (once you click on the link, there is a little blue envelope that offers email delivery) or Follow in Google reader!

Please also remember to take our reader survey while you are here! I want to hear your comments and suggestions!

6/8/10

First Try at Homemade Sausage

It's been a while since I posted a recipe, so I figured I would share this one with you. I originally got the recipe from Nourishing Traditions (by way of Heavenly Homemakers), but I did customize it just a bit to my family's taste buds.  It turned out really well, so I am excited to share it with you.

Homemade Sausage

1 pound ground beef
1/4 c chopped onions
1/4 t. cumin
1/4 t. marjoram
1/4 t. ground pepper
1/4 t. oregano
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. cayenne pepper (heaping...probably closer to 1/2 tsp.)
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. dried basil
1/2 t. thyme
1/2 t. sage
2 t. sea salt
1 egg

Mix all the ingredients together, and fry it up!


I doubled the recipe, so I was using two pounds of ground beef. I found it in the markdown bin of the meat section of my grocery store, so I ended up getting a great deal for it, and was planning on doing freezer cooking this weekend anyway, so I figured I would double it and freeze it for later!



Once all the spices were added, I mixed it up to combine thoroughly. I tried mixing with a spoon, but I'd recommend just throwing your hands in there and mashing it around like Play-Doh. It works much better!



I fried my sausages in olive oil and used my cast iron skillet. It worked pretty well, and I was happy to get some use out of my skillet, which I hardly ever pull out.



After cooking, I put them on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb some of the extra oil. Even though I used organic olive oil, which is a relatively healthy oil, I don't particularly like greasy food, so I figured I'd get some of the grease off before I froze them.


I would say all in all my doubled recipe made close to 30 or so patties, which should last us quite a bit of time. I took a bite out of one of them, and I'm happy to say that they are very good! They have lots of flavor (once I remembered to add the salt...the first pan-full that I fried up I had forgotten to add salt...) and they were quite spicy. I would recommend cutting back on the cayenne pepper if your family isn't really into spiciness, otherwise, they are great as is! 

Have you tried any new recipes lately? I would love to hear about them! Link up to this post in the comments section if you have a blog and want to share your recipes! 


This post is part of:
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
Real Food Wednesday

3 comments:

  1. I've been interested in making homemade sausage for a while, but have yet to try it. One of these days I'm going to give it a whirl. This sounds good and easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was really easy (especially once I got the hang of heating up the oil and getting it hot enough to fry but not hot enough to smoke). I don't know that I would recommend using olive oil, since the smoke point is relatively low. Good luck though! They were a hit with my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made a copy cat recipe of the Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage in the past. I don't know why I don't do it more often as my kids really like it.

    I'm going to try your recipe. Beef sausage is a different one for us, we usually eat pork.

    ReplyDelete