Welcome to Just Add Lauren

If you are new around these parts, you may want to subscribe so that you won't miss anything! We have new posts added almost every day, so you never want to miss out on the new information and links available. You can Subscribe to Just add Lauren by email (once you click on the link, there is a little blue envelope that offers email delivery) or Follow in Google reader!

Please also remember to take our reader survey while you are here! I want to hear your comments and suggestions!

5/28/10

Week In Review

This week has been a pretty busy time over here at Just Add Lauren. Here is the week in review, in case you missed anything.

We started out the week with a new giveaway for a Bamboo Kitchen Crock and Tool Set. If you haven't entered yet, don't worry there is still time! The set includes a crock, slotted spoon, mixing spoon, slotted turner, solid turner, spaghetti fork and sink brush. It is a great find, and one that I am so happy to share with my readers!


For Money Monday we talked about eating locally and buying in season. With summer upon us, this task gets easier and easier as Farmer's Markets begin to open up, and pick-your-own farms have harvests to share! It is a great way to save some money that you would be spending at the grocery store, while at the same time supporting your local farmers and feeding your family in a nutritious way. It is an all around winning situation!


Try It Out Tuesday tackled Berries this week. Berries are a great source of phytonutrients and antioxidants, and they just so happen to be in season in the spring and summer, depending on where you live. So, you can combine Money Monday and Try It Out Tuesday, and buy some local, in season berries! What a delicious snack!

Work On It Wednesday broached the subject of high fructose corn syrup this week. It is a hot topic of debate, and certainly one that does not lack opinions on either side. From the perspective of Just Add Lauren, however, we are working towards eliminating it from our diets because, regardless of what the Corn Refiners Association tells you, it is not really a natural ingredient, at least not in the way that I define natural. It is found in such an overabundance of food items that eliminating it is certainly a challenge, and one that we will continue to "work on," not one that is achieved instantaneously.

I also shared the recipe I found for whole wheat bread (which I turned into pizza crust). I hope some of you were able to try it out and let me know what you think. We found it to be absolutely amazing, and can't wait to continue to use it for different varieties of pizzas! The opportunities are endless!

I shared a few link mashups this week.  I actually didn't mean to post both in the same week. I was starting to collect them for next week, and it accidentally posted, so sorry about that.  You can look for the next link mashup in about a week and a half, since I'd ideally like to do it about every week, but this week got two.

Finally, we talked about Keeper of the Home's Cook More Real Food Series, and how I took the first steps in the series by taking a Pantry Inventory. I hope some of you will join me in this series, as I think we really will accomplish a lot of great steps towards cooking more real food.



Did you have a favorite topic we talked about this week? Let me know which ones you enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment