Welcome to Just Add Lauren

If you are new around these parts, you may want to subscribe so that you won't miss anything! We have new posts added almost every day, so you never want to miss out on the new information and links available. You can Subscribe to Just add Lauren by email (once you click on the link, there is a little blue envelope that offers email delivery) or Follow in Google reader!

Please also remember to take our reader survey while you are here! I want to hear your comments and suggestions!

4/6/10

The beginnings of cake decorating


In light of the fact that Easter just passed, I thought I would share one of my favorite past times, cake decorating! Not only is it a wonderfully delicious hobby, but I actually really enjoy the creativity and thought process that is involved in making a cake that resembles something that people will recognize. This was my first ever decorated cake. It was for a FRG Easter party, and it was a hit! Actually, following this cake I took 3 of the Wilton cake decorating classes, but nothing I made was ever as popular as this one. Irony. This cake is really simple, albeit somewhat time consuming. Basically I started with two 9" circle cake pans and baked a boxed cake mix as directed (I did the high altitude directions, since we are at 6500 feet, and generally speaking the high altitude additions make the cake a lot more stable). Once the cake has baked and cooled, leave one circle intacts, and cut the other two into rounded ears. The two ears and bow tie will result from the one rounded cake. Below is a (very rough) diagram of how the second cake should be cut. The dotted lines represent where you should cut.


Once everything is cut, but place the pieces together like so, and you are ready to decorate. I chose to decorate with the star tip to make tiny stars all over the bunny, but of course, the creative inspiration is up to you. Have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment