Welcome to Just Add Lauren

If you are new around these parts, you may want to subscribe so that you won't miss anything! We have new posts added almost every day, so you never want to miss out on the new information and links available. You can Subscribe to Just add Lauren by email (once you click on the link, there is a little blue envelope that offers email delivery) or Follow in Google reader!

Please also remember to take our reader survey while you are here! I want to hear your comments and suggestions!

4/30/10

Freezer Recipes - Make Ahead Butterhorns

Lately I've been pretty into the idea of cooking in large batches and then freezing things. This works great for me, because I can buy perishable things like eggs and produce, go ahead and make the recipes, and the perishable items don't get the chance to go bad. We used to have a big problem with buying lots of produce and throwing it away because it spoiled, so this has been my way of combating that. This is also a great way to use up items that you got on sale before they go bad - for example a few weeks ago I went to Safeway and they had reduced eggs for $0.70 per dozen, a fabulous price! I bought three dozen, but since they were about to expire I needed to use them pretty quickly. I whipped up two batches of my homemade Breakfast Burritos (pictures and recipe to follow sometime soon!) and froze them for my hubby to bring to work with him. It was a win-win situation, because I got a great price on the food, and he now can avoid going out to eat for breakfast (he leaves for work very early in the morning). This is just one example of how you can use freezer cooking to save money, and of course save some energy as well!




So in thinking towards meals that I would really like to serve with bread, but not wanting to make a whole batch of bread for one dinner, I decided to make MoneySavingMom's Make Ahead Butterhorns . She does a great job on the site of explaining all the steps with pictures, so I'm not going to be too detailed with mine. However, I will show you the changes that I made to the recipe (you knew to expect that, right?!)
First off, I halved the recipe, so while the original recipe says this:


Make-Ahead Butterhorns (makes 32 rolls)
2 Tablespoons dry yeast, heaping
1/3 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
9 cups flour, divided (you can use any mixture of white or whole-wheat flour you’d like)
2 cups warm milk (110-115 degrees)
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar (we substituted sucanat)
6 eggs
2 teaspoons salt
3-4 Tablespoons butter, melted





Mine was more like: 
Make-Ahead Butterhorns (makes 20 rolls)
1 Tablespoons dry yeast, heaping
approximately 1/6  cup warm water (I just used my 1/3 cup, and put about 1/2 of it)
5 cups flour, divided (I used 3 cups white, 2 cups whole wheat)
1 cups warm almond milk (heated in the microwave for about 1 1/2 min)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar 
3 eggs
1 teaspoon salt

Although the original recipe says that it will make 32 rolls, my halved recipe made 20. Maybe mine were somewhat smaller, I'm not sure. I also didn't brush mine with butter at the end, because I figure that is an added 300-400 calories of butter on top of the rolls, and it doesn't add all that much flavor. I may do an egg wash before baking them for color. 


I mixed it all up and rolled them up, placed them on a pan and stuck them in my chest freezer for about 45 minutes. Once they were frozen, I put them in a baggie to freeze until I need them! Here is a picture of the finished product, although these were already frozen when I took the picture, so they were puffier before freezing. 




I think they will be a great addition to any dinner, and I plan on having them tonight when I bake my hubby a special meal to start the weekend off right!

No comments:

Post a Comment