Welcome to Just Add Lauren

If you are new around these parts, you may want to subscribe so that you won't miss anything! We have new posts added almost every day, so you never want to miss out on the new information and links available. You can Subscribe to Just add Lauren by email (once you click on the link, there is a little blue envelope that offers email delivery) or Follow in Google reader!

Please also remember to take our reader survey while you are here! I want to hear your comments and suggestions!

5/11/10

Homemade Angel Food Cake



Last night I decided to make an angel food cake as a "treat" for me and my husband. Turns out my husband doesn't like angel food cake, so that kind of backfired (and left me with a lot of cake to eat on my own), but it was a great excuse to get some organic strawberries and whip cream, and have a lovely dessert! 


I found the recipe online at cookinglight.com. I'm not sure if it was because it was a light recipe (although 1 1/2 cups of sugar is still a lot), but the cake does have a bit of an "eggy" taste to it. It doesn't bother me, since I smother mine in strawberries and whipped cream (see last photo), but it might bother some so I wanted to lay out that warning. 


Here is the recipe if you are interested in making it:


Ingredients:
1 cup sifted cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
12 large egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp almond extract


Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325. 
To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar, stirring with a whisk.



Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla, juice, and almond extract. 


Sift 1/4 cup flour mixture over egg white mixture; fold in. Repeat with remaining flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time.

The lighting is not too good in this picture...the whites were not really brown, they are just shadowed.


Spoon the batter into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through the batter with a knife. Bake at 325 for 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert the cake onto a plate.


As you can see, I did not have a tube pan. I wouldn't really recommend this, as the cake stuck to the pan like crazy, but it worked if you are in a pinch and aren't planning on showing off the cake to any guests or anyone. 

See before comment. I suppose I might as well have just skipped the cake and eaten whipped cream with strawberries by itself, but the cake really is in there buried under all the cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment