Welcome to Just Add Lauren

If you are new around these parts, you may want to subscribe so that you won't miss anything! We have new posts added almost every day, so you never want to miss out on the new information and links available. You can Subscribe to Just add Lauren by email (once you click on the link, there is a little blue envelope that offers email delivery) or Follow in Google reader!

Please also remember to take our reader survey while you are here! I want to hear your comments and suggestions!

4/22/10

Organics on a Budget

So last night I was at the grocery store, and I wanted to show everyone what I got for my budget. We already have the staples in my house because I had a bigger shopping trip earlier this month, so for the most part I was just stocking up on fruit to replenish the ones we've already eaten.



This shopping trip was completely without coupons, as I went sort of on a whim and didn't have my coupon binder with me. Here's the breakdown of what I got:


  • 1.57lb of Organic Bananas ---- 1.08
  • Coconut Milk (1/2 gallon) --- 3.69
  • Fresca (2liter) ---1.34
  • Organic Artichokes (2) ---2.99
  • 1.05lb of organic asparagus --- 3.14
  • 2.47lb of organic red delicious apples ---3.68
  • 3 lb organic strawberries @ 2.50/lb --- 7.50
All of it totaled out to be $23.42 with a savings of $10.81 of 31%.  I wanted to show you all this to demonstrate how you can shop organically on a budget and even do it without coupons. Obviously my savings percentage would have been higher and my money spent out of pocket lower if I hadn't bought the coconut milk and the fresca (impulse buys), but I still think I did pretty well!

Have you gotten any great deals lately! I would love to hear about them!

1 comment:

  1. Hey that's not bad! I really need to focus on how much things are costing me when I go food shopping. Most often I don't pay attention and I really could be saving more if I do.

    ReplyDelete